Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Powerless by Matthew Cody

I'm a teensy bit of a dork. I admit it. I like to think about superheroes and what I'd do if I had powers. I have extremely strong opinons on who would win a three way fight between Superman, Spiderman and Batman (Batman, of course! He'd have kryptonite in his utility belt and Spiderman just isn't really a concern).

So when I saw Powerless I knew I had to pick it up. It's about a boy named Daniel who moves with his family to a very safe little town. Little do the townsfolk know that it's safe because there's a group of kids with superpowers in town. The powers have been passed down through the generations. The kids keep themselves in check through the following rules:

1. Use Your Powers to Help. Never Hurt.
2. The North Face and the Old Quarry Are Off Limits. Danger Waits for Us There.
3. It Ends at Thirteen.
4. Never, Ever Let Grown-Ups Know (pg.50-51)

But as you can see, there's one problem with this. The kids lose their powers and all memories of them at 13. Is this natural? Or is something or someone stealing their powers? This is what Daniel (a Sherlock Holmes aficianado) needs to find out.

There's danger, sadness and humor in this book. I quite enjoyed reading it and thinking about it. And I'm in luck! The haunting last scene clearly points to a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment