Monday, August 24, 2009

New Library! and "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman

To begin with, I have a job! It's going to be really wonderful, I think. I met many of my coworkers today and everyone's really friendly and welcoming. It seems like it's a supportive environment for everyone, I'm going to learn tons and I think that I can really contribute. And Defy Death.

"If I Stay" is a book with a lovely cover. I've seen it in the bookstores a few times, but the inside of the book never intrigued me. It's very sparse, which is probably because it doesn't want to give away the plot but it goes too far with that. However, I've got to say that you should ignore your first instinct. It's a lovely cover and a well written and touching story.

Mia is a teenaged living a charmed life. Sure, there's been stress in her relationship with her boyfriend, Adam since his emo core band has started getting more popular. Another thing that adds stress is Mia's cello playing. In all likelihood, she's going to get into Juilliard. She even gets along with her parents, former punk rock types who married young and adore Mia and her 6 year old brother Teddy with every fiber of their body.

See what I mean? Charmed life! But that all changed when Mia's family gets into a car one snowy day to go visit some friends. There's a car crash and both of Mia's parents die, while Mia and Teddy are hurt very badly. Mia ends up having an out of body experience.

That's where the title comes in. Will Mia stay? Or will she keep going on to whatever comes next?

I've got to warn you. This book is heartwrenching. I sobbed while reading it, sitting on my futon, so engrossed that I didn't realize it was getting too dim to read until the book was a couple of inches from my face.

I would recommend this book to teens aged 14 and up. It may play with some old saws (Lurlene McDaniel, anyone?) but does so in a lyrical way. The characterization is also very strong, making Mia a likable character and all the supporting friends and family sound like people that the reader knows and likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment